Image of a horned skull, often mistakenly thought to be that of a possible giant Nephilim, dated c. 1200 A.D. and originally unearthed during an archeological excavation in the 1880s at Spanish Hill, near Sayre and South Waverly, PA, led by the Rev. Dr. George Patterson Donehoo, Alanson Buck Skinner, and Warren King Moorehead. However, this skull turns out to actually be a manufactured cult object, currently in the collection of the mysterious museum, Surnateum. According to its curator, Christian Chelman, "It's not a giant skull but a human size ritual skull made for a Pan cult revival during the XVIIIth century at Painswick (Gloucestershire). Yours, the Curator." Visit www.surnateum.org to see a wealth of delightfully strange and wondrous objects!
"It is happening again."
– Carel Struycken
LOCATION: Castelnau-le-Lez, France where Georges Vacher de Lapouge discovered 3 massive bone fragments in 1890. He estimated from the bone size that the human may have been about 11 feet and 5 or 6 inches tall (3.5 meters), and perhaps weighing as much as 1000 pounds (454 kg). The find is now known as The Giant of Castelnau.
So, what have we learned about giants? Our current understanding of human biology finds limits as to how tall a person can grow and can still be relatively healthy while enjoying an advanced age. This knowledge then places limits as to what the majority are willing to believe about the tallest humans throughout all history, that no one could have existed beyond 8 to 10 feet tall at the most. In the still-nascent field of archeology in the 19th century, excavations do seem to provide accounts of unusually large individuals in Europe and significant numbers of taller than average Native American tribal members here in the U.S., so perhaps whole communities could have been seen as giants by contemporary standards. However, there are those researchers and writers who believe, possibly spurred by those findings and the subsequent, apparent mishandling of artifacts by some museums and academic institutions, that there exists a conspiracy to keep evidence of beings beyond that range from the public, and that the even more massive giants of yore were real, and some may even live to this day. If this is true, then one must think about our definition of a real giant, and would that giant be a real human?
- Micah Ewers' rephaim23 website
- Micah Hanks' article: Big Buried Secrets: Giant Skeletons and the Smithsonian
- The Giant of Castelnau
- Deb Twigg's Spanish Hill website, regarding the Sayre and South Waverly finds of "Giants"
- L.A. Marzulli's Episode #18 on the "Giant of Kandahar, Afganistan"
- From Brian Dunning's Skeptoid website: The Red-Haired Giants of Lovelock Cave
- The Davis Report: The Red-Haired Giants of Lovelock Cave – The Skulls of the Humboldt Museum
- "Was There a Race of People That Had Horns?" by Mary Sutherland
- Z3 News: Are the Nephilim back?
- Wikipedia's List of the Tallest People
- Old newspaper clipping PDF: "Explorer Finds Giant's Skull in South America"
- From Journal of the Bizarre: Horned Giants of Pennsylvania
- From Journal of the Bizarre, resolving the mystery of the Spanish Hill horned skull
- From The Guardian: How Tall Can a Human Grow?
- Bones from an excavation at Arch Street in Philadelphia go missing
- Sculptor Ron Mueck's installation of giant skulls at Australia's National Gallery of Victoria Triennial
- The Nephilim
- Who were the Nephilim?
- The Book of Giants
- Genesis 6 Giants, website by Steve Quayle – "The Leading Authority on Giants"
- Genesis 6:2
- Genesis 6:4
- Deuteronomy 2:20
- The Twelve Spies
- Did Nimrod Become A Nephilim Giant? by Minister Fortson
- The Mound Builders
- The Adena Mound
- The Serpent Mound
- Hopewell Mound Group
- Hopewell Culture
- The Hooked X
- The context of Abraham Lincoln's line: "The Eyes of that Species of Extinct Giants ..."
- Article on Acromegaly and Giantism from medicalbag.com
- Was Paul Bunyan a real person?
- Was there a real Paul Bunyan?
- 13 places you can see Paul Bunyan this summer
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- ZipRecruiter – Looking to hire the best employees, fast? Post your job to over one hundred of the web’s leading job boards with just one click. Then, ZipRecruiter actively looks for the most qualified candidates and invites them to apply. They even review every application to identify the top candidates, so you never miss a great match! 80% of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site in just one day. Now you can post jobs for FREE just by going to ZipRecruiter.com/legends.
There's a brand-new podcast from audioBoom called MAFIA, which takes us all into America’s criminal underworld, exploring the lives and careers of the most powerful gangsters the world has ever seen! Through extensive research and eyewitness stories, MAFIA reveals what life was really like inside the mob from the people who lived it. Every Wednesday, MAFIA dives into the larger-than-life stories of mobsters and introduces us to the key figures who brought them down. Subscribe to MAFIA on Apple Podcasts and every other listening destination.
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about anything, now with over 9000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or improve your knowledge of food, travel, photography or art! And now their app lets you listen to the courses as well as watch, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. Get unlimited access to all of their lectures with a FREE TRIAL by going to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS
Episode 99: The Tall Ones Part 3. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.