Above image: "(KJV) illustration from the 1728 Figures de la Bible; illustrated by Gerard Hoet (1648–1733) and others, and published by P. de Hondt in The Hague; image courtesy Bizzell Bible Collection, University of Oklahoma Libraries" Public Domain.
“Many people say I believe aliens built the pyramids. I don't. In fact, I'm not a supporter of the "Ancient Alien" hypothesis at all. I think a lost human civilization is a much better explanation of the mysteries and paradoxes of ancient cultures.” – Graham Hancock, Author
Something or someone of great importance and influence had convinced and motivated these neolithic hunter-gatherers to put their way of life on hold and come together as a group to undertake such a tremendous project as Göbekli Tepe. This is likely the first time hundreds of prehistoric peoples had formed an organized collective in order to build a religious sanctuary. The work would've taken years to accomplish and the temple would be built upon for many centuries more. The result of this work is believed to have spurred civilization as we know it today. But what beliefs or legends could have generated such a monumental task? In Part Three of our series, we examine the hypotheses put forth in Andrew Collins' book, Göbekli Tepe, Genesis of the Gods: The Temple of the Watchers and the Discovery of Eden. With his comprehensive and detailed research, Collins goes beyond the boundaries of interpretation where Processual archaeologists would not stray. Could the memory of a global, natural catastrophe which nearly wiped out humanity be the impetus for creating a shrine to assuage the gods into sparing them more devastation? Could the builders have been directed by foreign and mysterious visitors who seemed to have knowledge of the heavens and history far beyond their own? If they did indeed fear destruction from the cosmos, then a connection from them to us could be made, because we're subject to those very same dangers.
- PDF: Göbekli Tepe – the Stone Age Sanctuaries. New results of ongoing excavations with a special focus on sculptures and high reliefs by Klaus Schmidt
- "First Pictorial Representation Of Göbekli Tepe Found - NEW DISCOVERY" on YouTube
- Mount Judi or Al-Judi, believed to be the resting place for Noah's Ark
- Enoch, ancestor of Noah
- The Book of Enoch
- Seth, third son of Adam & Eve
- The Life of Adam and Eve, or The Apocalypse of Moses
- Nanodiamonds and wildfire evidence in the Usselo horizon postdate the Allerød-Younger Dryas boundary
- Nevalı Çori
- The Olmecs
- Olmec Colossal Heads
- Olmec alternative origin speculations
- Göbekli Tepe as Armenian "Portasar – The center of the earth and life"
- Armenian Genocide
- Processual archaeology, formerly the "New Archaeology"
- Anthropology as defined on Wikipedia
- Dr. Robert Schoch talks to Joe Rogan about redating the Sphinx, on Daily Grail
- Explanation of the Dryas ages from Archaeology Wordsmith
- National Geographic documentary on Göbekli Tepe
- Another? Göbekli Tepe documentary from National Geographic on YouTube
- Göbekli Tepe on Wikipedia
- The Anatolia region of Turkey
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple? by Andrew Curry for Smithsonian Magazine
- World's Oldest Temple to Be Restored by Andrew Curry for National Geographic, Jan 2016
- The Birth of Religion by Charles C. Mann for National Geographic Magazine
- Skull Cult at Göbekli Tepe by Jason Urbanus for Archaeology magazine
- Sun and Moon iconography and Göbekli Tepe in another National Geographic documentary
- Poverty Point prehistoric earthworks in northeastern Louisiana
- Sir Mortimer Wheeler, the "Father of Modern Archaeology"
- An Appreciation of James Mellaart by Trevor Watkins, feat. Dorak Treasure controversy
- Could James Mellaart have faked some of his findings at Çatalhöyük and others?
- Jason Colavito on Collins and Hancock
Marie Mayhew, founding A.R.C. member and co-host of The Mad Scientist Podcast with Dr. Chris Cogswell has her own podcast now, called The Whatever Remains Podcast! With sharp writing and in-depth research, Marie explores the worlds of international mystery, political intrigue, and vicious conspiracies, all with her fearless, inimitable style! Search for her show on iTunes or wherever you get great podcasts or CLICK HERE to listen to episode #1 right now!
SPECIAL OFFERS FROM OUR SPECIAL SPONSORS:
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about virtually anything, now with over 10,000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or explore topics like food, the arts, travel, business, and self-improvement! And now their app lets you listen to just the audio from the courses or watch the videos, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. And this great deal for your mind & body is even better for your wallet because if you go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS not only can you get a special, limited time only offer of a FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL but now your second month is only .99¢! This offer is only good for a few weeks, so sign up today to get unlimited access to their entire, massive library for under a dollar!
- Squarespace – Have something you need to sell or share with the world but don't have a website? Or maybe that old website of yours could use a serious style and functionality update but you don't think you have the time or money to pay someone to do it? Well, now you can do it yourself, stylishly and cost-effectively in very little time with Squarespace! With their large gallery of beautifully designed templates, eCommerce functionality, built-in Search Engine Optimization, free and secure hosting, and award-winning 24/7 Customer Support to guide you along the way, you'll be up and running on the Web in no time, with flair, ease and a choice of over 200 URL extensions to make you stand out! So what are you waiting for? Go to Squarespace.com/LEGENDS for a free trial and when you’re ready to launch, use the Offer Code "LEGENDS" to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
- quip – Chances are, you're probably not brushing your teeth the way your dentist would like you to, but now there's an effective, affordable and cool way to get the job done right and without having to spend a lot of money on one of those bulky electric toothbrushes you've seen in stores. quip is a slim and elegant electric toothbrush that delivers oral care the way dentists would prefer, with sonic vibrations and pulses to guide you through the recommended two minutes of cleaning. quip comes with a suction mount that adheres right to your mirror so it's out of the way and unsticks to use as a hygienic cover that's perfect for travel. quip starts at just $25 and their subscription plan for new brush heads isn't just convenient, it's dentist-recommended for maximum oral health, with replacements arriving every 3 months for just $5 and free worldwide shipping is included! Go to getquip.com/LEGENDS right now and you'll get your first refill pack FREE with a quip electric toothbrush!
- ZipRecruiter – Need to fill a work position fast but don't have time to sift through hundreds of résumés just hoping you'll find the right person? Then ZipRecruiter is your effective, one-stop solution! ZipRecruiter’s powerful matching technology scans thousands of résumés to find people with the right experience and invites them to apply to your job. As applications come in, ZipRecruiter analyzes each one and spotlights the top candidates so you never miss a great match. In fact, they're so effective that 80% of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day. With results like that, it’s no wonder that ZipRecruiter is the highest rated hiring site in America! And now you can try ZipRecruiter FOR FREE by going to ZipRecruiter.com/LEGENDS
Episode 110: Göbekli Tepe Part 3. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.