1) An 1861 painting of the “Mary Celeste,” when it was first known as the ship “Amazon,” artist unknown. They probably should’ve stuck with “Amazon.” 2) Benjamin Spooner Briggs, the vanished captain of the ill-fated Mary Celeste. 3) A photo of the Mary Celeste. 4) An artist’s rendering of the crew of the Dei Gratia sighting her. 5) Chart showing the Mary Celeste’s course and the Dei Gratia’s course and where the Dei Gratia overtook her. 6) A photo of a phial (vial) of sewing machine oil from the 1870’s, possibly similar to the one found on Sarah’s sewing machine. 7 & 8) Posters for the Bela Lugosi horror movie based on the story of the Mary Celeste
The mysterious disappearance of ten souls would not be the last of the misfortune to befall the ill-fated Mary Celeste. Insurance fraud, lost revenue, madness, and suicide would all become dreadful notches in the mast of her sad history, along with the premature deaths of three of her captains. Whether you believe in curses or not, often the best insurance is to leave fate untempted.
“The sea has never been friendly to man. At most, it has been the accomplice of human restlessness.”
— Joseph Conrad, novelist
We’ve found that some sites are not showing these links as clickable unless they are URLs, so until those outlets improve their show notes section, we are providing actual URLs next to the clickable description of each link to make things easier for our listeners!
- Ancestry of Captain Benjamin Spooner Briggs http://bit.ly/2aXR1tx
- Giant Squid (Architeuthis) footage, January 27, 2013 http://bit.ly/1UdNQgH
- Guy Fieri’s recipe for Rhode Island Calamari http://bit.ly/2aU7MZg
- The ARC’s Chris Cogswell’s favorite ship graveyard http://bit.ly/1jPSTr9
- Mary Celeste: The Greatest Mystery of the Sea – http://bit.do/MaryCelesteBook
- The World’s Greatest Unsolved Mysteries (Mysteries and Secrets) – http://bit.do/worldsgreatestmysteries
- Capt Kirk and the Zumwalt – http://bit.do/captainkirk
- The Smithsonian’s Take on the Mary Celeste – http://bit.do/smithsonianCeleste
- HMS Friday – http://bit.do/hmsFriday
- Maritime Superstitions – http://bit.do/maritimesuperstition
- The Captain of the Polestar by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – http://bit.ly/2avJYrN
- The Ship’s Cat – http://bit.do/shipscat
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- Casper Mattresses – Go to CasperMattresses.com/AL and use the PROMO CODE AL to get $50 towards any mattress purchase. Terms and Conditions Apply
- Stamps.com – Get a $110 Bonus Offer with postage and a digital scale! Click on the microphone at the TOP of the homepage and type in LEGENDS
- The Great Courses Plus – Go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/legends and get one month of free, unlimited access to hundreds of courses on a wide range of subjects
- Mack Weldon – Go to MackWeldon.com and use the PROMO CODE LEGENDS for 20% off of your order!
The Dark Myths Collectivehttp://darkmyths.org
Episode 043 – “The Mary Celeste – Ghost Ship (Part 2)” Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Edited by Sarah Vorhees, Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a,k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or “A.R.C.” for short. Copyright Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess 2016. All Rights Reserved.