"How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell. There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man."
– Johnny Cash
LOCATION: Castle or "Hrad" Houska, in the Czech Republic
Map showing location of Hauska Castle relative to other medieval Bohemian castles that were under Nazi control during WWII. Map created by A.R.C. member Cody Rice.
There are two connected, yet distinct traditions of weirdness concerning Houska Castle: its mysterious, violent and spotty history of purpose and ownership, and the reported sightings of horrific creatures and terrifying specters since its founding. Regarding the castle's originally intended design; whether it was really built to keep something from escaping rather than defense from outside forces, the lack of any definitive or comprehensive historical records will only lead to debate and speculation. However, those that have been inside the walls of this fortress and others in the region will tell you that Houska's architecture clearly doesn't seem to fit with the standard intentions. Regarding the encounters with frightening phantoms, if you believe places can be haunted, Houska Castle seems to be just that.
- Photo gallery of Houska castle from the Czech website, Mapy.cz
- Pete Collman and Travis Dow's Bohemican Podcast, covering Castle Houska
- Travis Dow's shows and videos on YouTube
- Travis Dow's (with Pete Collman) collection of podcasts on Podcastnik.com
- The Search for Nazi Treasures, Book 3, exploration project and documentary proposal by Jaro Sveceny
- "On general issues of movement of books in Czechoslovakia after World War II" by the Czech project, Books Discovered Once Again
- A Virtual Exhibit with mages from the Books Discovered Once Again project
- Stash of Books from the Witch Library of Nazi Chief Himmler Found in Prague, article by Natalia Klimczak on Ancient Origins
- Himmler's stash of Witchcraft books discovered in Czech library by The Daily Mail
- In Prague found a collection of books Himmler of his “witch” of the library from "Last news from Russia" website
- Norwegian ‘witch' books stolen by Nazis found, on Norway's "The Local"
- No Witchcraft books in Prague, according to historian by Heather Greene from The Wild Hunt
- 11 Hidden Spots to Enter the Underworld on Atlas Obscura
- Kola Superdeep Borehole
- The Unsolved Mystery of the Tunnels at Baiae on Smithsonian.com
- Various "Gates of Hell" on Wikipedia
- "Mel's Hole"
- Devils Hole
- Ploutonion at Hierapolis
- Pluto in Greek mythology
- The Medical Mystery of Hair That Whitens Overnight: Canities subita
- Are there gasses that cause hallucinations? on Quora
- Nitrous oxide
- "How is Sulpher dioxide formed?"
- The Reich Main Security Office, or "RSHA"
- Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle and Amt I - Amt XI
- Himmler and his Ahnenerbe project
- The German Völkisch movement
- German Ariosophy
- Nazism and occultism
- Wewelsburg Castle and the Nazi "Black Sun" symbol
- "Hrad Houska's" Czech website – use Google Translate to view the page in English
- Ghost Hunters International, Season 2, Episode 3: "Gate to Hell"
- Charlie Jewett's site and podcast, Renovating Retirement – JewettWealth.com
- Houska Castle on Wikipedia
- Sorbian prince Slavibor
- The Central Bohemian town of Mělník
- The Bohemian noble families of Berka z Dubé
- Ottokar II of Bohemia, Czech king and warrior, known as the Iron and Golden King
- The Golden Legend
- Treachery of the Long Knives
- List of Bohemian monarchs
- Houska Castle on Week in Weird
- Saint Ludmila of Bohemia
- The official Czech website for Houska Castle, it's in Czech so use Google to translate the page
- Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia and Czech Royal Saint
- Boleslaus "The Cruel" complicit in the murder of his older brother Wenceslaus I
- The legend of Saint George and the Dragon
- Archangel Michael
- Karel Hynek Mácha, Czech Romantic Poet and Houska visionary
- H.G. Wells' The Time Machine
Mission to Zyxx is an Improv Comedy Sci-Fi podcast about a crew of interstellar ambassadors traveling to the far reaches of space, created by veteran comedians from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater, with special guests from Saturday Night Live, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Chris Gethard Show, Search Party and other great comedy shows you know and love. Find, Subscribe and Listen NOW to the first season of Mission to Zyxx, available on Apple Podcasts, audioBoom, or wherever you find really, really funny podcasts.
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- Blue Apron – It's the #1 recipe and fresh ingredient delivery service in the country. And Blue Apron knows you’re busy so now they’re offering "30-Minute Meals!" Check out this week’s menu and get your first THREE meals FREE, with FREE SHIPPING, by going to blueapron.com/astonishing. And now Blue Apron will be delivering recipes inspired by the winning dishes on MasterChef! Tune-in to MasterChef on FOX every Wednesday at 8/7 Central and visit Blue Apron every Thursday Starting August 24th to see and select the winning recipes to cook in your own home!
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about anything with over 8000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to forensic crime and genealogy! Now you can get unlimited access to all of their lectures for free for a whole month by going to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS
Episode 84: Houska Castle – Gateway to Hell (Part 2). Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.