"The seas around Scotland and the Scottish coastline itself have never been a place for the faint-hearted mariner." – Author Keith McCloskey
Many people enjoy a good mystery. However, mysteries often leave us slightly disturbed and unsettled, because we're also always searching for answers and when we look for answers, we're sometimes comforted the most by the simplest explanations. With the case of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse Keepers, most are willing to accept that a massive "Rogue Wave" swept the three men into oblivion. But what if meteorological science matched against clues left from the scene could show that this theory may not be the most plausible? What if several simple, yet extreme events combined to plunge this mystery into the depths of the unexplained? Join us tonight as we interview Keith McCloskey, author of the book, The Lighthouse: The Mystery of the Eilean Mòr Lighthouse Keepers. We'll discuss his in-depth research into the case and the possibility that the simplest explanations, while the easiest to accept, are often not where the real truth lies submerged.
- Author Keith McCloskey's website
- "Curse of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse" on the Science Channel's Unexplained Files
- The Eddystone Lighthouse
- "Lighthouse of horror: The disturbing history of Queensland’s Bustard Head lightstation"
- The Tragedy of Smalls Lighthouse by Stephen Liddell
- "Behold the Hebrides, The Isle of the Pigmies: Strange Evidence from an Ultima Thule"
- "Did Formula 1 CGI a Giant Vulture Shadow Into the U.S. Grand Prix Live Feed?"
- The Flannan Isles Lighthouse on Wikipedia
- More pictures of the Eilean Mòr Lighthouse
- The Outer Hebrides of western Scotland
- The Poem, Flannan Isle, by Wilfrid Wilson Gibson on All Poetry
- Author Keith McCloskey interviewed on Where Did the Road Go? Radio
- Seriah Azkath's website for Where Did The Road Go?
- Seriah Azkath interviewed on Radio Misterioso
- "Back in the day: Flannan Isles Mystery - Gothic horror at its best" by Alan Riach
- 7th century Irish Saint Flannán mac Toirrdelbaig
- Northern Lighthouse Board (NLB)
- For Sale: Little Ross Island, known for its own Lighthouse Keeper murder
- Crofting, part of the culture of Scotland
- "Lighthouse Keeper" by Sound of Sunforest
- "Monster's Toy Box" a review of Astonishing Legends by Monster Dugan on Morbidly Beautiful
- Hear author Keith McCloskey being interviewed by Seriah Azkath on his show, Where Did The Road Go?
- The Legend of Wandering John – Marty White has a new show out called The Legend of Wandering John, about a young, orphaned man who is compelled into a quest to learn the mystery surrounding his missing father, but which will also possibly lead him to cross paths with an ancient immortal, blessed, or cursed, to wander this earth until the end of time. The journey will take "John" into the dark depths of the supernatural, all while being hunted by a sinister force of unimaginable evil. The Legend of Wandering John is a fictional, serialized story, told in order and released every two weeks. You can CLICK HERE to find it on Libsyn, or CLICK HERE to find it on iTunes. And remember, with every fictional story, there can be a lot of mind-bending truth to them...
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- Squarespace – Have something you need to sell or share with the world but don't have a website? Or maybe that old website of yours could use a serious style and functionality update but you don't think you have the time or money to pay someone to do it? Well, now you can do it yourself, stylishly and cost-effectively in very little time with Squarespace! With their large gallery of beautifully designed templates, eCommerce functionality, built-in Search Engine Optimization, free and secure hosting, and award-winning 24/7 Customer Support to guide you along the way, you'll be up and running on the Web in no time, with flair, ease and a choice of over 200 URL extensions to make you stand out! So what are you waiting for? Go to Squarespace.com/LEGENDS for a free trial and when you’re ready to launch, use the Offer Code "LEGENDS" to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.
- quip – Chances are, you're probably not brushing your teeth the way your dentist would like you to, but now there's an effective, affordable and cool way to get the job done right and without having to spend a lot of money on one of those expensive electric toothbrushes you've seen in stores that clutter up your counter. quip is a slim and elegant electric toothbrush that delivers oral care the way dentists would prefer, with gentle sonic vibrations and pulses to guide you through the recommended two minutes of cleaning. quip comes with a suction mount that adheres right to your mirror so it's out of the way and unsticks to use as a hygienic cover that's perfect for travel. quip starts at just $25 and their optional subscription plan for new brush heads isn't just convenient, it's dentist-recommended for maximum oral health, with replacements arriving every 3 months for just $5 and free worldwide shipping is included! Go to getquip.com/LEGENDS right now and you'll get your first refill pack FREE with a quip electric toothbrush!
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about virtually anything, now with over 10,000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or explore topics like food, the arts, travel, business, and self-improvement! And now their app lets you listen to just the audio from the courses or watch the videos, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. See for yourself with this special offer: go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS to get UNLIMITED ACCESS to their ENTIRE LIBRARY of courses with a FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL! Sign up today and have endless fun improving yourself!
- Euphomet – From Skylark Media, the producers of the wildly popular Hunt A Killer comes a brand new and fascinating podcast called Euphomet. Hosted by Jim Perry, Euphomet explores real-life paranormal experiences and will captivate anyone curious about the unknown. Regarded by Bustle Magazine as "The podcast that will keep you up all night," their immersive stories will take you closer to the anomalous than ever before with REAL stories from REAL people. You can also join their Facebook group, The Society of Euphomet where like-minded people discuss the unknown and our relationship to it. Euphomet releases new shows on Tuesdays and can be found wherever you get your podcasts.
Episode 112: Mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse Part 2. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.