“The thoughts came from the man. From the man’s eyes.”
– Elsa, a student at The Ariel School in Zimbabwe describing a close encounter with an alien that 62 people witnessed in 1994.
So many popular culture misconceptions abound with stories of UFO sightings; that it's always some farmer, alone in his fields when an unidentified flying object appears. The "hayseed farmer" is an easy target to dismiss with ridicule and hubris. Sure, sometimes it is a farm, as it was in 1977 at the Coombs family farm in southern Wales, but it is far from the norm. And it wasn't a singular farmer who witnessed a UFO then, prominent townsfolk and a group of schoolchildren also saw bizarre craft and phenomena during a series of events that would become known as the Broad Haven incident. The Coombs family would also go on to experience High Strangeness that would rival the happenings at Skinwalker Ranch. If you still think that remote farms are still the most likely places for such incredible tales to emerge, you might be surprised that schoolyards also seem to be just as common for alien interactions, with notable cases happening all over the world, in countries like Australia, Zimbabwe, and Russia. Decades later, questions about these cases emerge: Were the goings on in Broadhaven, this "Flap," connected to the incident at Berwyn Mountain, three years prior? Does a "Welsh Triangle" exist? Why do otherworldly visitors want to communicate with our children? Is it because they are more likely to learn lessons we adults are too proud or stubborn to heed? Join us tonight as we examine these cases with a friend and fellow podcaster, Rob Kristofferson, host of Our Strange Skies, as we go in search of answers to these fascinating questions.
- "Broad Haven UFO sightings marked 40 years on" from the BBC
- The "Welsh Triangle" on The Best of Wales
- Welsh Triangle from UFO Centre
- "The Bizarre And Forgotten Broad Haven School UFO Incident Of 1977" on UFO Insight
- "UFO SIGHTINGS IN THE WELSH TRIANGLE" Nat Geo documentary on YouTube
- "UFO Wales: New X-files shed light on 'alien' sightings" from the BBC
- Men In Black, or MIBs
- Seminal UFOlogist Albert K. Bender
- Singer-Songwriter and UFO enthusiast Jim Sullivan
- Alien Abduction phenomenon
- "What REALLY happened? MoD’s 'secret investigation' into mass UFO sightings" on U.K. Express
- Hudson Valley UFO discussions page on Facebook
- The Hudson Valley UFO on Unmuseum.org
- Hudson Valley UFO on Unsolved Mysteries
- "UFO’s over the Hudson Valley" from the Syracuse New Times
- Stephenville, Texas
- "UFO Myths: A Special Investigation into Stephenville and Other Major Sightings" on Popular Mechanics
- Stephenville, TX UFO Sightings Footage on Disclose.tv
- "The Stephenville UFO Wave: 10 Years On" by Nick Redfern for Mysterious Universe
- "MUFON releases report on UFO sighting in Stephenville, Texas" on Wikinews
- "Father Gill & the 1959 Papua New Guinea UFO Sighting" on TheBlackVault.com
- Father Gill & the Papua New Guinea UFO incident on YouTube
- John E. Mack, M.D. – psychiatrist, parapsychologist and Alien Abduction authority
- "Interview with John Mack, Psychiatrist, Harvard University" on NOVA Online
- Article on audio from Westall High School Melbourne, Australia mass UFO sighting
- Voronezh UFO incident
- NatGeo: "Mysterious Balls of Light Aren't UFOs, Says Science"
- Check out Rhys Waters' show, The Unexplainers!
- The Berwyn UFO Incident on Wikipedia
- Roswell UFO incident
- "Welsh 'Roswell' UFO sighting explained" on YouTube
- Earthquake LIght
- Chelyabinsk meteor
- The Green Flash
- Dirty thunderstorm
- The Great Orme
- Llandudno near the Great Orme, a place of High Strangeness
- The South Stack Formation in Anglesey, North Wales
- British UFO Investigator Russ Kellett, featured on Episode 3 of The Unexplainers
- Tonight's guest Rob Kristofferson has his own entertaining and informative podcast about all things UFO called, Our Strange Skies. Click on the hyperlink or cut n' paste this URL into your web browser's search bar: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/our-strange-skies/id1324932558?mt=2. Rob has been a long-standing, senior member of our Astonishing Research Corps, the "ARC," and has been featured on a few of our episodes as well. Available wherever you get your podcasts. Listen and subscribe immediately!
- Check out Rhys Waters' podcast of his show, The Unexplainers called The Unexplainers Extra! If you like our show, you're gonna dig The Unexplainers Extra podcast! Here's a description of the show:
Countless attempts have been made throughout history to solve unexplained mysteries. Believers of the weird and wonderful have always reached for their go-to weapon – belief. Skeptics have tried time and again to use science to disprove mystery. Running to hide and cry behind things like evidence and knowledge.
However, paranormal legends have repeatedly punched science squarely in the fact gland before giggling and running off to continue to remain unexplained.
'The Unexplainers' is a new paranormal investigation team. Two agents of intrigue who form the perfect combination of skeptical former P.E. teacher Mike Bubbins and once chart-topping comedy rap artist, and self-proclaimed anti-skeptic John Rutledge.
Together, they charge themselves with one mission - to thoroughly unexplain the unexplainable. Their quest is simple, chance of success unlikely, their dedication to the cause questionable. But one thing, however, is clear - if there is anything out there that is unexplained, they will definitely find, or not find, any or some of answers. Possibly.
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about virtually anything, now with over 10,000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or explore topics like food, the arts, travel, business, and self-improvement! And now their app lets you listen to just the audio from the courses or watch the videos, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. See for yourself with this special offer: go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS to get UNLIMITED ACCESS to their ENTIRE LIBRARY of courses with a FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL! Sign up today and have endless fun improving yourself!
- quip – Chances are, you're probably not brushing your teeth the way your dentist would like you to, but now there's an effective, affordable and cool way to get the job done right and without having to spend a lot of money on one of those expensive electric toothbrushes you've seen in stores that clutter up your counter. quip is a slim and elegant electric toothbrush that delivers oral care the way dentists would prefer, with gentle sonic vibrations and pulses to guide you through the recommended two minutes of cleaning. quip comes with a suction mount that adheres right to your mirror so it's out of the way and unsticks to use as a hygienic cover that's perfect for travel. quip starts at just $25 and their optional subscription plan for new brush heads isn't just convenient, it's dentist-recommended for maximum oral health, with replacements arriving every 3 months for just $5 and free worldwide shipping is included! Go to getquip.com/LEGENDS right now and you'll get your first refill pack FREE with a quip electric toothbrush!
- audible – Audiobooks and spoken-word content are the perfect way to catch up and binge on all your favorite entertainment while doing all those summer activities at the same time! audible lets you switch seamlessly between all your devices, so you can pick up right where you left off. audible members also get exclusive deals of up to 30% off in the store. You'll also get a credit every month, good for any audiobook in their store, regardless of price, and unused credits roll over to the next month. Didn’t like your audiobook? You can exchange it, no questions asked! Plus – your books are yours to keep! With audible, you can go back and re-listen any time, even if you cancel your membership. So get started catching up on all those books and audio content you've been meaning to read with a 30-day trial, and your first book is FREE! Just go to audible.com/AL or text the letters "AL" to the number 500500. You can do it with audiobooks!
Episode 114: Strange Tales from Wales and UFO School Daze. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.