1) Professor Derek Abbott of the University of Adelaide, Australia. Notice the stripes on his tie slant downward from left shoulder to right beltline, or “from heart to sword,” in the U.K. fashion. This is opposite of the tradition of ties manufactured in the U.S. and the opposite of the tie found on the Somerton Man, leading some to speculate that he may have been an American. 2) The famous ‘X Marks the Spot picture from years ago. 3) The same exact spot today. 4) That spot again, but looking south. 5) The same spot, looking straight northward on the beach towards Glenelg. 6) The funeral (featured in Part 1 as well) 7) John ‘Barb’ Dwyer 8) Sir John Burton Cleland 9) The Suitcase and it’s Contents 10) The Strathmore Hotel, where a strange man stayed just before TSM was found. 11) A portrait of how TSM might have actually looked 12) The Adelaide Museum where Paul Lawson worked (it’s had a facelift) 13) Neil Day, the deceased Jockey 14) The thread from the suitcase that matched the sewing repair on TSM’s clothes. 15) THE LAUNDRY MARKS 16) Looking for hairs in the bust of TSM 17) Alfred Boxall 18) Boxall’s copy of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
We conclude our interview with Professor Derek Abbott in Part 2B of The Somerton Man series, where we learn that when you engage a mystery, the mystery can engage you.
“Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too into the Dust descend;
Dust into Dust, and under Dust, to lie,
Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and—sans End!”
Quatrain 23 from Edward Fitzgerald’s translation of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
We’ve found that some sites are not showing these links as clickable unless they are URLs, so until those outlets improve their show notes section, we are providing actual URLs next to the clickable description of each link to make things easier for our listeners!
The Dark Myths Collective:
The Dark Myths Collective! http://darkmyths.org
Show Links – Links are the same as Part 1 as similar material is covered. New Links will appear for final Part 3 on Theories.
- Link to purchase Gerry Feltus’ book, “The Unknown Man: A Suspicious Death at Somerton Beach” http://bit.ly/1YGiX7m
- One of the better of MANY websites devoted to the case http://bit.ly/1UEn83I
- A HuffPo Article on the case by Professor Abbott who’s interview will be heard in Part 2! http://huff.to/1ID8nqM
- Another solid article at Phys.org about the case that discusses DNA findings http://bit.ly/1KDq8qj
- Much of Professor Abbott’s collected knowledge on the Case http://bit.ly/1pOYPVf
- Audio Book versions of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam http://bit.ly/1pOZ42P
- There are many more links to come, but we are saving some for the other parts of the series http://bit.ly/1R2hTZi
- Part 1 of Littlemore Special http://bit.do/bYXLj
- Part 2 of Littlemore Special http://bit.do/bYXLC
- Part 3 of Littlemore Special http://bit.do/bYXLN
Episode 035 – “The Somerton Man, Part 2B” Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a,k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or “A.R.C.” for short. Copyright Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess 2016. All Rights Reserved.