From left to right: Richard Martini's team digs at Aslito Airfield, Garapan Prison in Saipan, Freckle Cream Jar from Nikumaroro/Gardner Island, Abandoned Earhart Light on Howland Island (built to guide her in), Mike Harris & Richard Martini at what's left of the Catholic Church on Saipan where Robert Wallack found the briefcase, Old aerial photos of Gardner Island/Nikumaroro.
In the final episode of our 2 part special on Amelia Earhart's disappearance, we're going to get you up to speed on everything you need to know about all the hypotheses surrounding her story. Believe it or not, unlike a lot of shows in the mystery genre, we are prepared to actually draw a conclusion at the end of our show that we feel comfortable standing by after thoroughly investigating all of the research that has gone into the disappearance. This episode runs 2 hours because we just couldn't get everything into it in less time and it's hard not to become obsessed once you start taking a look at what happened to Amelia.
Did Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan live short lives as castaways, or were they lost at sea after running out of fuel and ditching their Lockheed Electra 10E? Maybe they were taken prisoner, interrogated and eventually executed by the Japanese in Saipan? If none of those are right, maybe Amelia changed her identity and lived her days out as a woman named Irene Bolam who settled down in New Jersey?
This episode is part 2 of a special about aviation's most famous disappearance of all time, that of Amelia Earhart.
Normally we break these down a little more, but it's Thanksgiving Day and I've got to get in the kitchen. All links as promised from this episode are below. If you can't click on these, visit our website.
- Triangulating Amelia's last radio signals, Youtube.
- TIGHAR's Smoking Gun, Artifact 2-2-v-1, The Aluminum Panel
- The 1991 LA Times Article by Paul Dean discounting 2-2-v-1
- Earhart and Noonan's Take-off from Lae, Papua New Guinea.
- TIGHAR's Wire & Rope Movie
- Mike Campbell's Blog, Earhart Truth.
- TIGHAR's Debris Field Analysis
- TIGHAR on the Bevington Object
- Prepping the Electra for the trip.
- The In Search Of on Amelia Earhart
- The SS Norwich City
- The Consolidated PBY on Wikipedia
- TIGHAR's PBY Rebuttal, posted just days ago
- TIGHAR's page on the Norwich City shipwreck.
- TIGHAR on feasibility of Betty Klenck hearing Amelia.
- A diagram of Betty Klenck's shortwave radio antenna.
- Betty Klenck's notes from the day she thought she heard Amelia.
- SKIP on CB Radios.
- Documentary, Earhart's Electra.
- World of Mysteries Documentary supporting Elgen Long's hypothesis.
- The Chater Report.
- Flight Route Map
- Mike Campbell's Book, The Truth at Last on Amazon.
- Richard Martini's Film, Earhart's Electra on Amazon.
- Earhart on Saipan, Martini and Mike Harris' website.
Episode 005 - 'Amelia Earhart Vanishes (Part 2)' Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess, Ryan McCullough Sound Design, Scott Philbrook Editing. Copyright Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess 2014, All Rights Reserved.
photo sources: Digging at Aslito Airfield, Capt. Cooper & Jerry Facey Assisting, Photo by: Robert Rustin, Garapan Prison, Earhart's last home? From Earhart On Saipan., Freckle Cream Jar, TIGHAR via Discovery Channel, Earhart Light, Flickr User JOANN94024 / CC BY-SA 3.0 , Catholic Church on Saipan, photo by Robert Rustin, from Earhart on Saipan, Old Aerial photos of Nikumaroro/Gardner Island, Public Domain.