Patrick Air Force Base, formerly US Naval Air Station, Banana River, where a Martin Mariner rescue plane, PBM-5 "Squadron Training No. 49" would launch from and soon go missing itself.
At approximately 6:00 p.m. on 5 December 1945, an HF/DF signal fix was obtained for Flight 19, placing its location somewhere within a 100-mile radius off the east coast of Florida, but that would be the last trace of the squadron's existence. It wouldn't be the last tragedy of this story. Around 7:27 p.m., two Martin Mariner rescue planes were launched from NAS Banana River, FL to conduct a search. Three minutes later, one of the planes, PBM-5 "Squadron Training No. 49" would send its "out report" over the radio, but it too would never be heard from again. About 20 minutes later, a tanker cruising in the area, the SS Gaines Mills would report seeing an apparent explosion, with flames leaping 100 feet high and lasting for 10 minutes in the vicinity of where PBM-5 should have been. The ship would search for survivors or floating wreckage but would find only a pool of oil and it is believed all 13 crew members aboard PBM-5 perished in that explosion. At least with PBM-5, there is a likely explanation of their fate but with Flight 19, to this day there is none to be had. The lingering question may sound simplistic, but it can be put before every speculative answer ranging from the commonplace to the paranormal -- "Where did they go?"
SHOW RELATED VIDEOS
In the video above you can see the complexities of tuning a radio in an aircraft during World War II. The P-47 Thunderbolt was not an Avenger, but the radio gear was similar and you can see how hard it was just to change the channel.
Download the Google Earth KML. It may open directly in your browser if you have certain extensions installed. We advise you to option or control select the download and open it with Google Earth for maximum compatibility.
Movie of Google Earth routing of Navigation Problem Number One as well as a very loose and generally untrustworthy map of the route Flight 19 might have taken before disappearing. I failed to mention the location of the Martin Mariner's purported explosion in this audio, but you can clearly see the placemark for it on the map. NOTE: For the first several days, this video had no audio. Well now it's back, it's longer and I'm blathering on all the way through it. - Scott
SHOW NOTES LINKS
- Flight 19 http://bit.ly/2mBlZkq
- The Disappearance of Flight 19 by Lawrence David Kusche http://a.co/8cNw4KG
- Radar Bulletin 8-A: Homing procedure for lost planes http://bit.ly/2mFt7Je
- Loss of Flight 19 Official US Naval Accident Reports http://bit.ly/2nj6de5
- NAS Jacksonville Board of Investigation "Finding of Facts" http://bit.ly/2mFvj36
- Sea Frontier http://bit.ly/2nO9ylR
- Non-directional Beacon http://bit.ly/2mAwogN
- Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) http://bit.ly/2nxiyez
- High-frequency Direction Finding, or HF/DF http://bit.ly/2nReZRj
- World War II Navy Carrier airplane antennas http://bit.ly/2nxn5gL
- Distance to the Horizon calculator http://bit.ly/2mSQL5E
- WWII Training Film - preflight radio inspection for fighter aircraft http://bit.ly/2mFbYiM
- Martin PBM Mariner flying boat http://bit.ly/2n7WPJS
- Grumman TBF Avenger Torpedo Bomber http://bit.ly/2nBnlcx
- TBM Avenger at the National Naval Aviation Museum http://bit.ly/2mFbxF4
- Patrick US Air Force Base, formerly US NAS Banana River http://bit.ly/2nlL3vc
- US Coast Guard Air Station Dinner Key Florida http://bit.ly/2nOeTJH
- Consolidated PBY Catalina patrol bomber and rescue aircraft http://bit.ly/1qXSLKQ
- "Dumbo" air-sea rescue http://bit.ly/2nBoq3J
- Against the Sun opening scene of a torpedo bomber water ditch http://bit.ly/2n7LpFQ
- The true story that inspired the film Against The Sun http://bit.ly/2n0JaAB
- Fresh Search for Lost Patrol by Jim Moore 4-24-2015 http://bit.ly/2mSNwLw
- Recognition of the 60th Anniversary of Flight 19 by the US House of Representatives Congressional Record http://bit.ly/2nOlLDp
- Watch Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden pilot "Ed Force One" http://bit.ly/2mAAyFG
- John Travolta's 707 Jumbo Jet http://bit.ly/2mAteJP
- The Fog: A Never Before Published Theory of the Bermuda Triangle Phenomenon, by Rob MacGregor and Bruce Gernon http://a.co/5AZONep
- Beyond the Bermuda Triangle: True Encounters with Electronic Fog, Missing Aircraft, and Time Warps by Bruce Gernon and Rob MacGregor, coming out 7/24/2017 http://a.co/hEOgpH9
- The Bermuda Triangle http://bit.ly/1LtPMAo
- "Bat Boy!" from the Weekly World News http://bit.ly/1bshzSC
- How the National Enquirer broke the John Edwards story http://bit.ly/2jcNleP
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- SQUARESPACE - It's what we used to make this cool looking website you're looking at right now! Go to squarespace.com and use the promo code "LEGENDS" at checkout for 10% off any website subscription or domain purchase.
- Audible - Audible is a leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet. Just go to audible.com/AL to get your choice of any audiobook for FREE with a 30-day trial membership.
- The Great Courses Plus: Go to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/legends and get one month of FREE, UNLIMITED access OR just take out your phone and text the word LEGENDS to the number 86329. To get the reply text, standard message and data rates apply.
- Harry's - Get a close, comfortable shave that's convenient and affordable. Go to harrys.com/alp to get their most popular Trial Set for FREE when you sign up. Just pay a small fee for shipping.
Episode 66 - Flight 19 (Part 2) Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.