Cathi Webber, while conducting an "EVP" recording session at the Kent Stage on Saturday night, April 28, 2018 asks, "If Merle is present, Merle, did you like a Dark Roast on your coffee or did you like something a little lighter?” Merle Mollenkopf, poet, long-time Kent Stage volunteer, Ghost Tour guide, and coffee aficionado, who passed away on February 27, 2013, responded, "Dark Roast."
The Kent Stage in Kent, OH. This historic theater, constructed in 1927, first presented "Talkies" or motion pictures that had the newly added feature of dialog & sound, as well as occasional vaudeville acts. Today it hosts everything from musical acts to films and the Kent Paranormal Weekend, which features noted authors, researchers and presenters in the Paranormal field, and includes Ghost Walks and a Ghost Hunt because the theater is also notoriously haunted!
One of the highlights of our appearance at the Kent Paranormal Weekend was participating in our very first Ghost Hunt! The event took place at the Kent Stage in Kent, Ohio which was first built in 1927 and since then has continued to host concerts, films, and various performances. The theater is also host to a cast of characters who were once somehow connected to this historic theater and whose spirits remain there. We explored the most haunted areas of the theater and tried our hand at documenting spirit activity, guided by experienced paranormal investigators Theresa Argie & Cathi Weber, known as The Haunted Housewives, Ray "Gooz" Goosby, Jeff and Susie from the North Canton Paranormal Detectives team, and theater owner Richelle Charlton. One of the techniques we tried is trying to capture an "EVP" or an instance of Electronic Voice Phenomenon, which some claim could be evidence of communication with the spirit world. Electronic Voice Phenomena are said to occur when a question is asked aloud in a haunted location, or even unprompted, and what sounds like a reply is heard in an audio recording. This hunt captured something we're convinced, believe what you may, and that when you call out into the void, you might get an answer.
- The Kent Stage in Kent, OH
- Ghost Hunting, on Wikipedia
- Electronic Voice Phenomenon
- EMF Measurement
- "We don't hear with our ears, we hear with our brain."
- Theresa Argie & Cathi Weber, "The Haunted Housewives"
- Cathi Weber's website
- Cathi Weber's Willoughby Ghost Walk
- Ray "The Gooz" Goosby and Dark Alley Paranormal Investigations, Northeast Ohio Chapter
- Jeff & Susie, founders of North Canton Paranormal Detectives
- Seth Breedlove and his Small Town Monsters documentary production company
- Greg Lawson, the Paranormal Detective
- Clinical Therapist and Parapsychologist Brandon Massullo and his hauntedtheories.com
- Colin Schneider, The Crypto Kid
- The Strange and Spooky World of James A. Willis
- "Scientific Evidence Of The Paranormal w/Todd Schelat & Jacqueline Davieau" on the Kev Baker Show
- Nellie Kampmann, author, ghostologist, and reincarnation researcher
- Follow paranormal investigator Adam Bonnett on Twitter
- Roger and Jill Pingleton's Streamside Software featuring paranormal themed apps for mobile
- Dale Kaczmarek of the Ghost Research Society captures an EVP at the Roadhouse Restaurant in Oregon, IL
Roger and Jill Pingleton, listeners and new friends we met at the KPW and Ghost Hunt, have created some fun & fascinating paranormal-themed apps for mobile devices at their company, Streamside Studios! Titles include Spirit Story Box and Paranormal Elements for Ghost Hunting and games like Cthulhu vs. Your Mom Gold, Cthulhu Beat, and Cthulhu emoji stickers! Check 'em out here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/streamside-software-llc/id654856411
Listen to Jim Harold's Live Show from the Kent Paranormal Weekend, Campfire #350, featuring spooky stories told by audience members, and a brief interview with our Paranormal Podfather, Jim! Find it here: https://jimharold.com/campfire-live-kent-ohio-campfire-350/ While there, you can also listen to other episodes of his Campfire show in which you'll hear some of the scariest and most fascinating stories from real people, plus hundreds of interviews with all of the biggest names in the field of paranormal research on his Paranormal Podcast! And if you're still looking for more, subscribe to Jim's Paranormal Plus Club for genre-specific shows, like True Crime, UFOs, the Afterlife, Conspiracies, Cryptids, Ancient Mysteries, and so much more!
You Can Help:
The Starkey Hearing Foundation has partnered with our podcast platform provider audioBoom to launch the LISTEN IN Campaign, and they need your help! The Starkey Hearing Foundation is a Human Services organization that provides complimentary hearing aids and hearing related healthcare to the hearing impaired in poor communities in the U.S., Canada, and around the world. Since 1984, they’ve been able to help over 1.1 million people in over 100 countries. The charity’s been rated 4 out of 4 stars by Charity Navigator, the highest score an organization can receive from the trusted Charity Evaluator. Disabling hearing loss is a global problem with an estimated 432 million adults and 34 million children experiencing this detriment to the quality of life, but the good news is that you can do something that will actually help! To give the gift of hearing, donate to the LISTEN IN Campaign today and help the Starkey Hearing Foundation reach their $25,000 goal. Click this link: ListenInCampaign.org for more information.
SPECIAL OFFERS FROM OUR SPECIAL SPONSORS:
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about virtually anything, now with over 10,000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or explore topics like food, the arts, travel, business, and self-improvement! And now their app lets you listen to just the audio from the courses or watch the videos, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. So head on over to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS to start your special, limited time only, FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL with unlimited access today!
- Blue Apron – Now through May 21, 2018, Blue Apron is teaming up with Airbnb to bring you the best home cooking from around the world! During this time, Blue Apron’s menu will feature a recipe developed in collaboration with an “Airbnb Experiences” host who will share their favorite meals from their home country! So check out this week's menu and get your first three meals FREE by going to BlueApron.com/astonishing!
Episode 107: EVPs at the KPW. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.