“Perhaps we shall never discover what the black eyed children truly are or what they represent, but by all appearances, they are here to stay.”– Author David Weatherly, from his book, "The Black Eyed Children"
LOCATION: Near the old Westwood Twin Theater at 3440 N. 1st Street, Abilene, TX 79603, where journalist Brian Bethel was in a nearby parking lot and encountered two "Black Eyed Kids."
Whether you choose to think of Black Eyed Kids as demonic entities or just unaccompanied children out by themselves late at night with full-sclera Contacts trying to scare people, one thing our research and the research of those who have written extensively on the subject has concluded, this is not just an internet hoax, no matter what you keep telling yourself. Perhaps the only proof of their authenticity is also something that is unquantifiable: a deep down, primal fear upon meeting them that is so profound it is unrelatable and incomprehensible to those who have not experienced it. In other words, when the real thing comes for you, you'll know. Maybe, in the end, you don't believe any of the accounts of these encounters, or you choose to believe it's simply a misidentification leading to an exaggeration of unease. That's fine. Whatever you need to tell yourself to get to sleep. But maybe one day you'll hear that late-night knock at your own door, and you'll wonder just what kind of evil awaits you on the other side.
- Gary Michael Vasey's Amazon Author's Page
- Stories of encounters with Black Eyed Kids from the Week in Weird website
- The Night Hag or Old Hag Syndrome from Thought Co.
- The Hag
- Braid Sweet Grass in Native American medicine
- The Duende
- "Mystery Solved? Brownsville residents remember Alton Gloor cemetery"
- El Cucuy or El Coco
- The old Westwood Twin Theater in Abilene, TX
- Backstory to the cartoon characters portraying the band members of Gorillaz
- Astonishing Legends, Questionable Facts, an examination of the Kelly-Hopkinsville case by Blake Smith of the Monster Talk podcast
- Gary Michael Vasey's scary story blog, My Haunted Life Too
- 10 Bizarre But Chilling Encounters With Black-Eyed Children from Listverse.com
- Brian Bethel Interview Part 1, from Strange Chronicles from the Graveyard Shift
- Brian Bethel Interview Part 2, from Strange Chronicles from the Graveyard Shift
- Black Eyed Kids on Wikipedia
- Website for artist Saga-Mariah Sandberg
- The Myling – The ghost children of Scandinavian folklore
- The Black Eyed Kids (BEKs) apparently have their own Facebook page
- The Ghost of Leandra Morales at San Angelo
If you like the topics we cover, then you're going to love Dan Cummins' Timesuck Podcast! Dan approaches these subjects with the same zeal for research and analysis that we do, but with his own unique perspective. He's also a touring standup comic, so he brings a bit of comedy to his inisghts, but also some adult language, so be forewarned! The Timesuck Podcast is available on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, various podcast apps, or wherever you get your podcasts. And then check out his website, http://timesuckpodcast.com/ for all of his episodes, plus his touring schedule.
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- Blue Apron – Let Blue Apron help you with your Thanksgiving dinner by providing recipes for superb side dishes your guests will rave about! Go to blueapron.com/astonishing to check out this week's menu and get $30 OFF your first order with FREE SHIPPING!
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about anything, now with over 8500 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to cook, or how to play the guitar! And now their app lets you listen to the courses as well as watch, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. Get unlimited access to all of their lectures for free for a whole month by going to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS
- eHarmony – Don't waste your time looking for love in all the wrong places! eHarmony has already helped over a million people find their special someone by using years of science, data and psychological research to find you the perfect match that leads to a lasting, meaningful relationship. Get a FREE MONTH with eHarmony when you sign up for a 3-month subscription, just by using the Promo Code LEGENDS at checkout!
- MVMT WATCHES – Classic design and stylish minimalism meet solid construction in quality watches that start at just $95! They carry cool sunglasses too! Now is the time to step up your watch game, or someone else's because they also make great gifts. Go to MVMT.com/LEGENDS to get 15% off today, with FREE SHIPPING and FREE RETURNS. Join the MOVEMENT!
Episode 89: Black Eyed Kids Part 3. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.