“Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.”
William Shakespeare, The Tempest
LOCATION: Don't worry. No matter where you are, the Black Eyed Kids will find you.
First, there's a knock. A very persistent knock, at your door, at your car window. Or maybe they stop you on a walk, on your way somewhere, when you're alone. They're just kids, right? And who doesn't want to help out kids in need? Except that these aren't like any kids you've met before. They're not like any humans you've ever met before, because what humans have you seen that have completely all-black eyes and fill you with an inexplicable dread? These kids don't want money (that's what humans want) and they really don't need to use your phone, even though that's what they mostly ask for. No. What they want is to get in. Into your house, into your car, into your space, to be near you. But, they need your permission first. Why? What are the rules? And what do they want when they get in? What they want is the only thing you possess of any real value – your soul.
- Astonishing Legends, Questionable Facts, an examination of the Kelly-Hopkinsville case by Blake Smith of the Monster Talk podcast
- Gary Michael Vasey's scary story blog, My Haunted Life Too
- 10 Bizarre But Chilling Encounters With Black-Eyed Children from Listverse.com
- Brian Bethel Interview Part 1, from Strange Chronicles from the Graveyard Shift
- Brian Bethel Interview Part 2, from Strange Chronicles from the Graveyard Shift
- Black Eyed Kids on Wikipedia
- Website for artist Saga-Mariah Sandberg
- The Myling – The ghost children of Scandinavian folklore
- The Black Eyed Kids (BEKs) apparently have their own Facebook page
If you like the topics we cover, then you're going to love Dan Cummins' Timesuck Podcast! Dan approaches these subjects with the same zeal for research and analysis that we do, but with his own unique perspective. He's also a touring standup comic, so he brings a bit of comedy to his insights, but also adult language, so be forewarned! The Timesuck Podcast is available on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, various podcast apps, or wherever you get your podcasts. And then check out his website, http://timesuckpodcast.com/ for all of his episodes, plus his touring schedule.
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about anything, now with over 8500 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to cook, or how to play the guitar! And now their app lets you listen to the courses as well as watch, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. Get unlimited access to all of their lectures for free for a whole month by going to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS
- PolicyGenius – Life insurance is something every family needs and PolicyGenius.com is the quick and easy way to learn about it, and you can save up to 40% just by comparing policies. The quotes are free, there's no sales pressure and zero hassle. You can also get Health Insurance, Pet Insurance and secure your income for you and your loved ones
Episode 87: Black Eyed Kids Part 1. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2017 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.