"Just take me up Archer."
– A ghostly passenger fitting the description of "Resurrection Mary," who had been offered a ride by a man known only as "Tony" on September 5th, 1980. She soon vanished from his car.
LOCATION: Resurrection Catholic Cemetery & Mausoleums, in the town of Justice, IL, southwest of Chicago, IL. From the Willowbrook Ballroom (recently burned down) all the way along Archer Avenue leading to the cemetery is where most of the sightings of "Resurrection Mary" have occurred.
Legend has it, that sometime in the late 1920s or early '30s, a young couple was enjoying an evening of dancing at the Oh Henry Ballroom, later renamed the Willowbrook Ballroom & Banquets, located southwest of Chicago, IL. After an argument, the woman stormed out, deciding she'd rather walk home than spend another minute with her boyfriend. As she walked along Archer Avenue on a wintery night, she was struck and killed by a hit and run driver. Her bereaved parents buried her at nearby Resurrection Cemetery in the white ballgown and shoes in which she died. Ever since, people have reported either dancing with or giving a ride to a hauntingly beautiful young woman, with long blonde hair and blue eyes, dressed in a white gown, who at some point vanishes from their midst. Accounts of these spectral encounters have been so numerous over the years that the legend of "Resurrection Mary" is perhaps Chicago's most famous and beloved ghost story.
- A summary of the "Resurrection Mary" story on Wikipedia
- Comprehensive article by Dale Kaczmarek of the Ghost Research Society (www.ghostresearch.org)
- Author Troy Taylor's coverage of the legend on prairieghosts.com
- "Deathly Dancer " article by Elizabeth Williamson from The Chicago Tribune
- The Mary legend from Chicago's Haunt Detective
- Resurrection Catholic Cemetery & Mausoleums
- "Birches residents get a Halloween scare on haunted bus tour"
- Chicago Ghost Hunter Richard Crowe Dies
- "A Supernatural Life: Richard T. Crowe" by Ursula Bielski
- Fan Wiki webpage about the Unsolved Mysteries episode on Mary
- PDF: Original newspaper clipping covering Anna Norkus' tragic auto accident
- Song: Ian Hunter's "Resurrection Mary" from 1996
- Song: Dickey Lee's "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)" from 1965
If you want to hear a great (and much more concise) take on the legend of Resurrection Mary, plus a large assortment of spooky tales about haunted places, creepy history, and forgotten folklore, all told in a narrative style by a real Ghost Tourguide, then you need to check out Mike Brown's Pleasing Terrors podcast! Every two weeks, Mike will walk you through the dark shadows of reality and shine a light on the ghosts in the theater of your mind. Go to Apple Podcasts or wherever you find outstanding shows and search for Pleasing Terrors, or click on, or copy n' paste this link into your web browser's locator: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pleasing-terrors/id1141063625?mt=2 Your imagination will never be the same!
Special Offers from our Special Sponsors:
- The Great Courses Plus – Learn about virtually anything, now with over 9000 lectures on almost any subject you can think of – from history and science to learning a new language, how to play an instrument or explore topics like food, travel, business, and self-improvement! And now their app lets you listen to the courses as well as watch, just like a podcast! Available for iOS and Android. So head on over to TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/LEGENDS to start your special, limited time only, FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL today!
- ZipRecruiter – Looking to hire the best employees, fast? Post your job to over one hundred of the web’s leading job boards with just one click. Then, ZipRecruiter actively looks for the most qualified candidates and invites them to apply. They even review every application to identify the top candidates, so you never miss a great match! 80% of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site in just one day. Now you can post jobs for FREE just by going to ZipRecruiter.com/legends.
- Casper – You'll spend about one-third of your life sleeping, so why not get the most comfortable mattress you can buy, and at a reasonable price? Casper mattresses are cleverly engineered to mimic human curves, cradling your natural geometry in all the right places, thereby providing supportive comfort no matter your body type! Casper now offers two other mattress models, the Wave and the Essential, as well as a wide array of other products like pillows and sheets, all designed to ensure an overall better sleep experience. YOU can enjoy this same level of comfort, wake up refreshed and be sure of your purchase of a Casper mattress with their 100 night, RISK-FREE, Sleep On It Trial! Just go to casper.com/AL and use Promo Code "AL" at checkout to get $50 towards a Select Mattress purchase! This offer is only applicable towards Select Mattresses and Terms and Conditions apply.
SQUARESPACE – Whether you're thinking of creating a website to present your ideas or endeavor, or it's time to refresh that old, tired-looking one you have from 15 years ago, you need it to be impressive and capture people's attention, and you don't need someone else to make it for you. You can easily do it all yourself with Squarespace! Check out Squarespace.com for a FREE TRIAL and when you’re ready to launch, use the Offer Code "LEGENDS" to save 10% OFF your first purchase of a website or domain. Whatever you make, make it beautiful, make it stand out, and make it yourself, with Squarespace.
Episode 102: Resurrection Mary Part 1. Produced by Scott Philbrook & Forrest Burgess; Audio Editing by Sarah Vorhees Wendel; Ryan McCullough Sound Design; Research Assistance by Tess Pfeifle and the astonishing League of Astonishing Researchers, a.k.a. The Astonishing Research Corps, or "A.R.C." for short. Copyright 2018 Astonishing Legends Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.